Tuesday, March 29, 2005

All these re-makes!

I don't know about you guys, but have noticed that there are heaps of "new" songs out that are actually just re-makes? If not full re-makes then intrumental rip-offs with different lyrics? What's going on? Have people lost their creativity? Or is it because artists nowadays are just concerned with making money and nothing else? Whatever happened to an artist's pride in their own work? It's all just about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY... the starving artist has ceased to exist! Because unfortunately in this day and age, if you want to earn money you would have to compromise your vision.

"Re-making" is the trend in this modern world. It exists not just in music, but also in fashion. I remember vividly a fellow pug parent speaking to me in confidence about how much he hates the ra-ra skirt. There was this chick in the playgroup who was wearing the horrendous skirt so he just had to say it to myself. He said, "I remember those skirts coming out about 15 years ago and was very happy when I went out of fashion. Why the hell do they have to resurrect it?" Well, my friend, that is because aside from the acceptance of people walking about starkers, everything has been done! Re-making!

There are heaps of rock groups from Britain and surprisingly, America, that I like. They may not be as original as they come (read: influences stemming from the New Wave/Punk era) but they are doing something more creative than some shit that I hear!

That said, I am only human. There are a lot of re-makes that I like. The reason being that the artists who re-made them made an effort to make it sound like their own. Here's my top ten list of re-makes (in no particular order):

1. The Man Who Sold The World - Original by David Bowie, re-make by Nirvana
2. China Girl - Original by Iggy Pop, re-make by David Bowie
3. Comfortably Numb - Original by Pink Floyd, re-make by Scissor Sisters
4. How Soon is Now? - Original by The Smiths, re-make by Tatu (I know Smiths purists will slag me off for this... but I even surprised myself when I found that I don't really mind it!)
5. Blue Monday - Original by New Order, re-make by Orgy
6. My Way - Original by Frank Sinatra, re-make by Sid Vicious
7. Always On My Mind - Original by Elvis Presley, re-make by Pet Shop Boys
8. I Fought The Law - Original by The Crickets, re-make by The Clash
9. Dear Prudence - Original by The Beatles, re-make by Siouxsie and the Banshees
10. Personal Jesus - Original by Depeche Mode, re-make by Marilyn Manson

Here are some songs that are just instrumental re-makes which I like:

1. Call on Me - by Eric Prydz, Music from Steve Winwood's "Valerie"
2. Falling Stars - by Sunset Strippers, Music from Cabin Crew's "Star To Fall"
3. Stan - by Eminem, Music and some lyrics from Dido's "Thank You"
4. Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling - by Dannii Minogue, Music from Madonna's "Into The Groove"
5. Crush - by Darren Hayes, Music from Madonna's "Holiday"

3 Comments:

At 9:06 am, Blogger eLf ideas said...

Dear Jennie,

I, too, have my own share of remakes I want.

I like particularly those which were remade because the artists felt the song fit their style.

I usually abhor those remakes which were obviously done to generate more money for the artist or for the record label.

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger eLf ideas said...

By the way, Jen, how do I install a Web counter onto my blog site?

 
At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Poker Internet said...

Excellently)))))))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home