Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I cannot believe I didn't get my hands on this book soon enough. I heard so many good and bad things about this book that I don't know what to believe. The only time my interest was pigued was when I watched Getaway (read: an Australian travelogue show) and they did a "Da Vinci Code tour" of Paris, London, and Scotland. So, needless to say, I rushed out and bought the book and finished reading it in 2 days (which is actually a long time for my standard... finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 8 hours straight--7pm-3am!)

The Da Vinci Code is Dan Brown's fourth novel. It is still topping the bestseller's lists all over the world inspite of it being out for a good year now, and a movie version is in production. The main protagonist, Robert Langdon, is whom I would call a "James Bond symbologist"... but not as boring. He's clautrophobic, not that gorgeous although quite good looking, a bachelor who is quite slow with the ladies (well, compared to James Bond, that is), incredibly smart, and educated. He got involved quite unexpectedly in a web of mystery involving art, religion, and the police.

I have enjoyed this book immensely. It was a very entertaining read providing an alternative explanation to a lot of questions regarding Christ, Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and Last Supper, and the age-old question... Was Jesus married with children?

I do not see anything wrong with this book. I do not understand why people got so offended by this book. It is, afterall, fiction... not real!

I was born and raised Catholic (coming from a Spanish influenced background, you really don't have a choice!) but I am very open-minded about a lot of things. I do not believe there is such a thing as a one true religion/faith and that this book marred Jesus Christ's divinity and standing in the Catholic faith. In fact, I do not think the Catholic church ever got such a big publicity which is not as bad as all those disgusting pedophile priests did! I honestly think that the church has more important things to think about than being threatened by a book of fiction. They should be worried about the people who have lost their faith in the church because of untrustworthy representatives (read: pedophile priests).

Anyway, I am going off track here... read the Da Vinci Code!!! It's a good thing to learn new things and be aware of conspiracy theories and radical ideas... even if it is a bit far-fetched!

The Da Vinci Code - 5 out of 5 stars! Definitely! Will read it again!

Jennie has recently entered a contest wherein the winner is given a free "Da Vinci Code" tour... I could just picture myself in front of the Mona Lisa at the Louvre... >sigh<

1 Comments:

At 3:16 pm, Blogger eLf ideas said...

Jennie,
Same view concerning faiths and religions...

Yeah, the Catholic Church in general should look into more pressing things instead of getting threatened by a work of fiction.

I'll link your blogs with mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home